U.S. trading session hours. What assets are traded on the exchanges and what to consider during trading hours. A list of the most profitable and active currency pairs and stock indices.
The largest trading session in terms of volume and strength of market movements is the American trading session.
Undoubtedly, this is due to the leading position of the American economy in relation to the economies of other countries. Knowledge of the basic laws of the American market will be useful in developing and improving the trading strategy, and their proper use can bring great profits.
American trading session opening hours
Regular trading in U.S. stocks has a clearly defined trading session from 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time (ET). The working hours of the NYSE also mark the most active period for trading within a 24-hour time period.
The American Trading Session is formed by the activity of the two largest financial markets in New York and Chicago. Even more activity of the American trading session is due to the overlap between the start time of the U.S. trading session and the end time of trading in London.
Assets of the stock market
The American trading session opens at 9:30 a.m. and ends at 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time (ET). At this time, trading takes place on the major U.S., Mexican, Brazilian and Canadian exchanges. At 4:00 p.m., trading opens in New York on the NYSE, AMEX, NASDAQ, and NYMEX, while at 5:00 p.m., trading opens in Chicago on the CME Group exchanges.
In Canada, during the American trading session, trading opens on the TSE and CSE in Toronto and the ME in Montreal. At the same time, trading begins on the BMV Mexican Stock Exchange.
During the U.S. trading session, Brazil’s largest stock exchanges also begin trading: Bovespa in Sao Paulo and BVRJ in Rio de Janeiro.
During this period, key indices are traded:
- NASDAQ – a group of stock indexes of the five thousand companies listed on the stock exchange of the same name.
- HAX – an index that trades on the AMEX and reflects the price dynamics of shares and depositary receipts of all companies traded on the exchange.
- Dow Jones – one of the largest U.S. indices, which includes securities of organizations of almost all industries, except transport and utilities.
- S&P 500 – index of shares of the 500 largest companies on the NYSE and NASDAQ.
- S&P/TSX – an index of large-cap companies, whose securities are traded on the TSE.
- Mex IPC – Mexican stock index, which includes securities of 35 large companies traded on the Mexican BMV.
- BOVESPA is a Brazilian index based on the securities of 71 large companies traded on the stock exchange of the same name.
Thus, the U.S. trading session is held during the work of the world’s largest exchanges, where most of the most important stock indices are traded.
Currency pairs of the American trading session on Forex
The highest volatility during the American session have pairs that include a currency of one of the countries of the session:
Pairs with the U.S. dollar:
- AUD/USD – with the Australian dollar
- EUR/ USD – with the euro
- GBP/ USD – with the pound
- NZD/ USD – with New Zealand dollar
- USD/BGN – Bulgarian lev
- USD/CAD – Canadian dollar
- USD/CCHF – Swiss franc
- USD/CZK – with Czech krone
- USD/DKK – with Danish krone
- USD/HKD – with Hong Kong dollar
- USD/HUF – with Hungarian forint
- USD/ILS – with Israeli shekel
- USD/JPY – with Japanese yen
- USD/MXN – with Mexican peso
- USD/NOK – Norwegian krone
- USD/PLN – with Polish zloty
- USD/RON – with Romanian Leu
- USD/RUB – with Russian rouble
- USD/SEK – with Swedish krone
- USD/SGD – with Singapore dollar
- USD/TRY – with Turkish Lira
- USD/ZAR – South African rand
Pairs with Canadian dollar:
- AUD/CAD – with Australian dollar
- CAD/CHF – with Swiss franc
- CAD/JPY – with Japanese Yen
- EUR/CAD – with Euro
- GBP/CAD – with the pound sterling
- NZD/CAD – with the New Zealand dollar
The volatility of the euro – Mexican peso pair is also increasing.
Peculiarities of trading during the American trading session
The American session is considered the most active period of trading at Forex. The largest trading volumes occur during the first two hours of the American session, when New York and London are trading at the same time.
The opening of trading during this session usually causes a significant increase in market activity, because this time coincides with the publication of major economic reports in the United States.
During this session, you should be extremely careful when trading currency pairs with the Canadian and U.S. dollar, because the high volatility leads to sharp jumps.
The American session, especially its beginning, is considered the best time for scalper deals because the strong movements can literally earn a decent profit in minutes.